.

PHOTOS: Fire In Bethel Attic and Statement From The Fire Marshall

Tom Galliford, Fire Marshall, issued a statement about Friday's fire.

 

On Friday, July 27 at around 12:30 p.m., Bethel and Stony Hill Fire Departments responded to a fire at 30 Reservoir Road.  Fire fighters quickly extinguished the fire, according to Fire Marshall Tom Galliford. 

The owner of the house, Steve Ulycki, said that there was lot of damage to the attic but it could have been a whole lot worse.  "They did a good job covering everything up," he said, pointing to the blue tarps that covered the furniture.

The tarps had been placed by the firefighters to protect from water damage, even as water dripped from the dining room chandelier. 

Upstairs, Ulycki pointed to the charred square where the ceiling fan had been.  "We had it all closed up and never used it.  We have central air," Ulycki said. 

After the fire engines left, Galliford sat down outside. He said that when Mrs. Ulycki came home, the smoke alarms were sounding and that "a minute or two later, the fire would have been much worse." 

Galliford said the home suffered moderate fire and water damage, and no one was injured.  

Later, in a written statement, Galliford wrote, "The homeowner became aware of the fire after hearing the smoke detectors sounding. It is very important to note that working fire detectors save lives!"

Galliford asked residents to check their home to be sure that detectors are working properly and to call 911 as soon as there is smoke or flames. 

Chris Barnabo July 28, 2012 at 04:03 PM
So was it the ceiling fan (or whole-house fan, based on the description) that triggered the fire? What made it "go" all of a sudden? With fire stories like this many of us are interested in the cause, in case it's something that is an avoidable danger in our own homes!
Christine Rose (Editor) July 29, 2012 at 02:53 AM
It was a strange fire. It was an attic fan, installed in the ceiling of the house. Those fans are usually used to draw the rising heat from a home up and out of the house. But it had been unused for a long time, so it was kind of inexplicable at this time. I will forward your comment to the Fire Marshall and maybe he can offer some advice.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something