Story and Photos by Paula Antolini
SEE MORE PHOTOS HERE: picturesbypaula.com
There was an air of excitement as the show was about to begin, then the lights dimmed, and the "Let Us Entertain You" 2013 BMS Variety Show began at Bethel Middle School on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 7:00 p.m..
This show put the meaning in "variety." The diversified selection of talent kept the show lively and entertaining.
Vocal solos favored pop music such as "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele, "Payphone" by Maroon 5, "Superwoman" and "Falling" by Alicia Keys, "Angel" by Sarah McLaughlan, "Safe and Sound" and "Sparks Fly" by Taylor Swift, "Listen" by Beyonce, and many more.
Vocal selections also came from plays such as "Nothing" from "A Chorus Line," "What It Means To Be A Friend" from "13," and "Seize the Day" from "Newsies." There was even and oldie from 1957 called "Till There Was You" written by Meredith Willson for his play "The Music Man." A television show "Smash" inspired the vocal solo "Second Hand White Baby Grand."
Dancers flew across the stage! Hawaiian, Irish and Jazz Dancing filled the stage, along with an 18 member dance team too. Classical Piano Music, a String Quartet Beatles Medley, a Saxophone Duet, Ukulele Music, this show had it all, and done very well.
A gymnastics routine was accompanied by the music "Die Young" by Kesha, and three boys demonstrated their talents in Tae Kwon Do, breaking boards with their feet. "Mathemagics" was a unique act showing math problem solving skills.
The show was directed by Mr. Salvador, BMS Language Arts teacher, and his wife Mrs. Salvador. Special thanks went to BMS Principal Mr. Muharem, Assistant Principals Ms. Chapman and Mr. Watson, Mr. Gorski, Mr. Baumer, Ms. Bowman, Mrs. Jowdy, Mrs. Oliveira, and the parents of the participants.
"LET US ENTERTAIN YOU!" THE 2013 VARIETY SHOW
1. "Rolling In The Deep," Vocal Solo, Saige Goding
2. "Payphone," Pinao Solo, Matthew Vitarelli
3. "Superwoman," Vocal Solo, Milandra NELSON
4. Mathemagics, Magic Square, Spencer Brown
5. "What It Means To Be A Friend," from "13," Vocal Solo, Zoee Oliveira
6. Irish Dance, Dance Duet, Abby Emslie, Ruby Mitchell
7. "Listen," Vocal Solo, Infinity Sheppard
8. Tae Kwon Do, Xander Goodwin, Brian Salvador, Mark Yuschak
9. "Nothing" from "A Chorus Line," Vocal Solo, Madison Lemone
10. "Sparks Fly," Vocal Solo, Anna Harovas
11. Hawaiian Dance, Dance Solo, Rheanna Flores
12. "Till There Was You," Ukelele and Vocal Solo, Alyssa Schneider
13. Dance Team, Sarah Mello, Emily Johnson, Ariana Leggio, Rachel Wade, Danielle Langdon, Sarah Kunnemann, Gwenyth Stuard, Abby Bozzuti, Emily Quader, Olivia Rinaldi, Aniqa Ahmed, Sophie Bjornson, Clarisa Rosario, Brooke Healy, Madison Lemone, Mary Muthusbaugh, Jillian Paulin, Bryce Staib.
14. "Seize The Day" from "Newsies," Vocal Solo, Sophia Harovas
1. Beatles Medley, String Quartet, Cosette Domkofski, Elizabeth Fagan, Jillian Paulin, Hajer Shaker
2. "Second Hand White Baby Grand" from "Smash," Vocal Solo, Abby Bozzuti
3. "Die Young," Gymnastics, Willow Macol, Camryn Walsh
4. "Hurricane," original song, Vocal Solo, Mia Gaetano
5. "Legends of Zelda" medley, Piano Solo, Collin Deming
6. "Angel," Vocal Solo, Emily Johnson
7. "Glad You Came," Saxophone Duet, Matt Fuller, Mchael Renda
8. "Safe and Sound," Vocal Solo, Allison Kellogg
9. "Don Quixote," Jazz Dance, Sarah Kunnemann
10. "Sonatina in C Major" by Muzio Clementi, Piano Solo, Gia Antolini
11. "For Good" from "Wicked," Vocal Duet, Rachel Salvador, Megan Savitsky
12. "Falling," Vocal and Piano Solo, Martha Kenny
13. "Our Time," All
Directed by: Mr. and Mrs. Salvador
Stage Crew: alloy Bruno, Emily Belcourt, Kait-Lynne Cioffi, Kendra Flanagan, Elena Gonzoles, Anne Habeck, Aaron Mendieta, Manuela Rios
Lighting and Tech Crew: From BHS Joshua Hoch and Paul Rogers
Lighting Crew: Alex Hoch, Jonhny Mattera, Rocco Chiappetta, Vinny Chiappetta
Emcees: Abby Bozzuti, Emily Johnson, Martha Kenny, Rachel Salvador, Alyssa Schneider, Ethan Brown, Stephen Spinella.
Special Thanks To: BMS Principal Mr. Muharem, Assistant Principals Ms. Chapman and Mr. Watson, Mr. Gorski, Mr. Baumer, Ms. Bowman, Mrs. Jowdy, Mrs. Oliveira, and the parents of the participants.