Get in the holiday spirit with a Bethel tradition. The town's annual tree lighting ceremony will take place on Friday, Nov. 23, from noon to 6 p.m.
The event, presented by Ingersoll and sponsored in part by Newtown Savings Bank and State Farm Insurance's local agent Brennan Purdy, will bring Santa Claus to town on a fire truck. It also creates a festive, family-friendly scene in historic downtown with horse-drawn carriage rides and live music as vendors sell hot cocoa, cider, soups and other treats.
The schedule of events, which is also available on the Bethel Chamber of Commerce website, is as follows:
- Noon to 4 p.m. — Horse Drawn Carriage Rides, The Gift Cottage Lawn (Sponsored by Union Savings Bank)
- 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Pictures with Santa at Aurora Photography. Email email@example.com for complete details or visit www.aurora-photography.net
- Noon to 4 p.m. — Free soup donated by local businesses, served by Cub Scout Pack 156
- Noon to 4 p.m. — Shop local vendors, located outside of the Bethel Chamber Office. Don’t forget to pick up your Hamlet Hub Holiday Hunt Passport
- Noon to 4 p.m. — Bethel Chamber of Commerce cider and donuts, sponsored by People’s Bank and Blue Jay Orchards
- 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. — Take Away Craft at Bethel Tutoring, while supplies last
- 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. — Children’s Story Hour, Byrd’s Books
- 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. — Hot Cocoa served by the Bethel United Methodist Church
- 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. — Music by Griffin Anthony Band on PT Barnum Square
- 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. — Bethel High School Jazz and Tri M Students, Outside of Chamber Office
- 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Join David Hyde Costello, author and illustrator of Little Pig Joins the Band, for an afternoon of stories, music, and fun. David is the creator of the kazumpet. Don’t know what that is? You’ll have to see for yourself, but no band—or budding musician—should be without it. In addition, anyone who comes to the event and purchases his book will be entered into a raffle for a Toy Room Gift Certificate.
- 4:30 p.m. — High School Choir, PT Barnum Square
- 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Meet local firefighters and climb aboard a Bethel Fire Truck, PT Barnum Square
- 5:00pm — First Selectman Matt Knickerbocker to kick-off tree lighting ceremony
- 5:15 p.m. — Santa arrives on fire truck