Whether you're in search of something fun to do with the kids or you have a babysitter and are planning a night out, look no further because Patch editors have picked a variety of events taking place today and tomorrow to help you make the most of your weekend. Click on the headline of each for more information.
Explore four private gardens in Bethel, New Canaan, Redding, and Weston, open for self-guided tours to benefit the Garden Conservancy. No reservations required; rain or shine.
Begin at Ho Hum Hollow Farms or see website for additional locations.
Highlights include a 10,000-square-foot kitchen garden and other extensive edible plantings, formal sunken gardens, fountains and classical statuary, an outdoor kitchen and fireplace, an orchestrated meadow garden, and a cutting garden with more than 100 different varieties of dahlias.
Newtown: Arts Festival
There will be live performances and workshops of dance and music, art presentations, art workshops, activities for children, and lots of food. Click here for a schedule of events.
Southbury: 2012 BentFest at Audubon Center
Family festival with live music by the blue grass band Wild Goose Nation, picnicking in the meadow, river and nature walks, local food vendors, kids’ activities, bird watching, raffle prizes and more.
Trumbull: Blessed Lambs Fall Festival; 34th Annual Trumbull Arts Festival
Sunday, Sept. 16:
- Trumbull Arts Festival: Fine Art, High-quality fine craft, Limited or handmade prints, Offset lithograph prints, Country Crafts, Handcraft item under $25, Painted/appliqued clothing, Photography; Trumbull Town Hall Green, 5866 Main Street,about 1 mile north of exit 48 off the Merritt Parkway. Time: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Blessed Lambs Fall Festival: 175 White Plains Road; Admission is free.
The Discovery to Cure Walk returns for the fifth year to Westport's Sherwoods Island State Park on Sept. 16, bringing together hundreds of people of all ages, including cancer survivors, dedicated to raising funds and awareness for ovarian cancer research.
Sunday, Sept. 16
The annual Colonial Fair and Muster Day in Woodbury shows what it was like to live, play, eat and work during colonial times. To see photos and an article on the 2011 Colonial Fair & Muster Day, click here: .
Friday, Sept. 14 & Saturday, Sept. 15
- The Irish Heritage Society of Milford's Annual Milford Irish Festival will "Kick Off" on Friday, Sept. 14th with music by The AleHounds and Fenian Sons, food and drinks.
- On Saturday, the Festival gets into Full Swing with Irish Music by Stone Row, Broken Banjo Strings and the Highland Rovers.
- Children's activities from 11-6 will include face painting, arts and crafts, games and prizes, a Bounce House, and Rock climbing wall.
- For more information, click here: .