During a recent meeting, the Franc Property Land Use Committee suggested five potential uses for the property:
- Disc Golf
- Community Garden
- Dog Park
- Nature Center (in conjunction with the Board of Education and/or Audubon Society)
- Food Forest (or Forest Gardening)
Bethel Land Use employee Beth Cavagna, who is also a member of the Franc Committee, said they are particularly interested in seeing the property used for recreational activities and out-of-the-box ideas like disc golf are exactly what they’re looking for.
Cavagna said a disc golf demonstration held at one of the movie nights in front of town hall this summer went over well with residents there.
“The families just loved it,” she said. “I think this has a possibility of being really fun and cool and different.”
The Committee is also looking at community garden ideas, including a potential forest garden, where the gardeners plant edible trees and shrubs.
The list of suggested uses and rules (see below) have been submitted to the Board of Selectmen for comment, however the list has not be finalized.
Another public input meeting has been scheduled for Sept. 12 for comments on the recommendations, as well as new ideas.
- Open from sunrise to sunset
- Dogs must be on a leash
- Whatever you bring in, please take it out when you leave
- Camping by permit only through the Parks and Recreation Department
- Hunting or trapping by permit only
- No bicycles or motorized vehicles
- No alcohol or drugs